Ok, ok, ok… I’m a night owl, I admit it!
If like me, you too, are more of a night person then my friend I got news for us and we need to make changes pronto.
I have partnered with the amazing team of Omron, to create awareness around our heart health, because it’s sooooo important but for some reason we don’t give it enough attention until it is —sometimes, too late. Omron has an amazing campaign called “Going For Zero”, a beautiful 90 days pledge aimed to create awareness so there are zero heart attacks and strokes… Join me!
A little background
Now, there’s a difference between sleeping and RESTING. I learned this after reading Arianna Huffington’s latest book “Sleep Revolution” and doing TONS of research on the nasty effects of disrupted sleeping patterns and not resting enough. This has profound consequences – on our health, our job performance, our relationships, our happiness and pretty much everything in our life.
If you’re the type of person who feels wide awake every night and tired every morning, you know how your internal circadian rhythm (sleep-wake cycle) can feel out of whack with the rest of the whole damn world. Being a night owl in a world where the workday starts at 9 a.m. and seems like everybody else is in bed by 9 p.m. can be craaaaazy annoying, to say the least.
How lack of sleep messes with your heart health
There are TONS of evidence suggesting that there are real health risks associated with sleep-wake cycles that are out of wack. Extensive studies shown that “evening types” of people (a.k.a you & and me!) were 30% more likely than “morning types” to have high blood pressure, even after they controlled for participants’ total amount of sleep and sleep quality.
… I know, not fair!
Bottom line, not sleeping enough gives us a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease—regardless of age, weight, smoking and exercise habits. Getting enough good quality sleep is important if you want to lower you risk of these conditions.
What to do to improve your sleep (and heart health)?!
- Go to bed and wake up at the same times each day.
- Keep your bedroom cool, dark, and comfortable it’s easier to fall asleep that way (at least it is for me!).
- Drink a relaxing tea 30 mins – 1 hour before bed.
- Read a book instead of grabbing the phone to help you wind down.
- Use your bed for sleep and, ejem… sex only! If you can’t fall asleep within 15 minutes, get up and leave the bedroom. Read or do another quiet activity for 10 to 15 minutes until you get sleepy. DO NOT grab your cellphone!
- If you (like me) work with computers a lot or cellphones, after 7 pm make sure to switch to the “yellow” light which is easier on your eyes and won’t disrupt your sleep pattern. Exposure to the blue light of electronic gadgets before you go to bed significantly affects your sleep quality, because it prevents your body from releasing melatonin, our SUPER IMPORTANT wake-sleep cycle hormone.
- Avoid late-night TV and the Web (I know, don’t kill me please!)… I promise it will help you get better rest!
- Keep away from caffeine at night.
- Try to not workout too close to your bedtime, as exercise raise your energy levels and might not let you find your sleep easily (soooo guilty of this!).
Monitor Your Health
As I have mentioned before, I started collecting my own data with my Omron EVOLV and let me tell ya’… it’s been EYE OPENING! I cannot stress enough HOW IMPORTANT it is to monitor your blood pressure and see how things are going even if you ‘look’ healthy.
So I want you to do the same… get yourself an Omron EVOLV, join me in the pledge and start tracking your numbers… it can very well save your life! Use the data you gather as a baseline, your compass that guides you in making important health and wellness decisions in the future. Knowing your health status now can help you identify the changes (even small ones) you need to make to reduce the risk of facing a stroke and heart disease in the future.
Ready to get better sleep and heart health? I know I am!
REMEMBER I’m giving away 1 (one) Omron EVOLV device exactly like the one I have (valued at $100)… I’ll be picking the winner next week without fail!!!
Super easy to enter, Just go to this post on my Instagram and follow the instructions there… SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!
♡ ♡ ♡
Here’s what we’re covering:
– How to boost your immune system with easy to follow steps even if you’re super busy, have kids or limited budget
– My most successful tricks make your immune system STRONG to help you PREVENT (or fight off) infections
– E-book for you to download
– Live Q&A with me!
Are you ready to make 2020 your healthiest & most amazing year yet?
* This post was done in collaboration with Omron Healthcare. As usual, all opinions are my own! #Omron #OmronHealthcare #GoingForZero #EVOLV
* * HEALTHCARE DISCLAIMER: This post and its information do not constitute the practice of medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always talk to your healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment, including your specific medical needs.
[Pics by Laboratorio1919]