Holidays are known for wreaking havoc on our weight and overall health. The average person gains anywhere from 5 to 11 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years, and rarely lose all of it during the year after.
You may say: “it’s only once a year, so why not splurge, right?”
I’ll be the first to say it can be easy to binge on yummy cocktails, turkey if you eat meat (extra gravy please!) and desserts. But let’s be realistic for a minute here ok? it’s almost like we don’t stand a chance!
I’ve been coaching people for years on how to stay on track during the holidays and reduce their meat + processed food intake, while still enjoying the festivities (I even created an e-Book on how to recover from the holidays!) and trust me I know it’s a challenge; but definitely it’s worth the effort and you’ll end up feeling super badass when you come out on the other side of the holidays swinging harder than JLo.
… So let’s not delay more, here are some of my best tips for ‘ya!
♡ ♡ ♡
Tips For a Healthier Holiday
1. Have a healthy breakfast
Don’t let dinner be your first meal – make a green smoothie – add tons of greens, your favorite fruit and at least 1 scoop of plant-based protein.
2. Drink lots of water
Hydration is KEY in this game! Try drinking tons of water during the day and to keep your meals as healthy as possible before the evening.
3. Eat real, whole natural foods
Avoid prepackaged anything and fill ½ of your plate with vegetables, ½ with protein (turkey —if you eat meat, tempeh, tofu) and only ¼ with starches such as sweet potatoes, rice, etc.
4. Start eating the healthy stuff first
I know, I know… but trust me on this! With so many yummy plant-based options it’s getting easier every time to go for the healthy stuff first. Oh, and go easy on the gravy and pleaseeee, please skip the bread if you can (please don’t hate me!).
5. Be your own “Food Police”
I mean, let’s be honest here, we’re not kids and we can make conscious choices all the time… Before you eat, survey the food at the table and decide what you’re going to choose and then practice portion control. Don’t waste time on the food you can eat all year long!
6. Need to use broth?
If you use broth for any of your recipes (like for example making a gravy), use vegetable broth instead. Less sodium and fat!
7. Use sugar substitutes
As I’ve told you many times before, sugar is the enemy ALWAYS! Try using sugar substitutes like brown rice malt syrup or stevia in place of sugar and/or fruit purees instead of oil in baked goods.
8. Reduce oil and butter wherever you can
Try plain yogurt or fat-free sour cream in creamy dips, mashed potatoes, and casseroles.
9. Watch out your alcohol consumption
I know, I KNOW! Candy stfu… right?
I mean, I’m all for having fun and you guys know I love a good wine moment, but the key is moderation. TRUST me on this, you don’t want to binge eat after having one too many.
10. Prefer low-calorie drinks Vs. hard liquor
An awesome excuse for champagne, prosecco or your favorite cava!
11. Remember to stay active
Help in the kitchen. Cooking and cleaning burn lots of calories too!
12. Skip the leftovers the next day
If you come from a Latino family like me, you know this is nearly impossible, but hey, if you’re really into it and you want to be mindful this is an awesome tip to follow to get back on track right away.
13. Plan a workout with your friends the next day
Great excuse to wear those super cute new leggings you bought yourself the other day!
14. Above all, remember to be grateful and enjoy the holidays with your loved ones
That’s what really matters…
Even if you fall off the wagon, don’t beat yourself up. We’re not perfect, and being perfect is boring anyway!
♡ ♡ ♡
TREAT FOR YOU GUYS
As I mentioned before, every holiday one of my best-sellers is my “Surviving The Holidays Guide” which includes:
– My extensive list of tips and tricks to survive the holidays with your health pumping, no extra pounds and that glow that can only come from the inside out!
– 15+ holiday-inspired healthy & yummy recipes (all plant-based)
– My (very easy to follow) 3 Days Detox Program to help you cleanse your body after any major holiday dinner/drinks, etc!!! It includes:
- Recipes for all 3 days
- Shopping list to take the guess-work out of the equation!
– Holistic Hangover Prevention & Recovery Guide (ya’ know… in case you need it! lol)
– Self-care tips to help you navigate the holidays without losing your *ish!
All you need to finish (and start) your year with a BANG!!!
You can download yours RIGHT NOW!!!
I have poured EVERY single one of my tried-and-true tricks implemented over the years to stay healthy, but still, ENJOY the holidays and not losing my mind in the process because who’s got time for that? Not me! Lol
Get your Surviving The Holidays Guide NOW and don’t forget that everything in this life is about having balance, so we can enjoy it to the max!
Happy to leave you well equipped to enjoy your holidays, stay healthy and get back on track in no time.
Don’t forget to tag me on your pics or Insta-Stories… Love you all so freaking much!!!
FREE E-BOOK + RECIPES & WELLNESS TIPS!
- 15+ pages with my fav health & wellness tips and tricks
- Morning rituals
- Meal prep tips
- Healthy food swaps
- Few of my favorite recipes
- My favorite supplements to take and why