Spirulina and Chlorella are 2 superfood algaes that are always part of my life. Love them because they are super alkalinizing (you know I’m obsessed with alkaline everythang!) help oxygenate our body, and help my skin glow from the inside out.
Wait, spiru-what? ummm… chlo-what?
I know, it can get confusing! so here’s a little explanation so you can differentiate the two of them and most importantly, use them properly.
As I mentioned before, it’s an algae and it can be found in both the ocean and fresh water. Spirulina is one of the biggest sources of protein in the world (bet you didn’t know that!) and best of all, without the negative impact that animal proteins can have.
Benefits? it has many:
- It has HUGE detoxifying properties (one of the main reasons I love it!) and can cleanse from mercury and other heavy metals and toxins out of the body.
- Helps to produce energy and curb hunger (MAJOR win!).
- Optimizes digestion.
- Excellent source of Iron, including other vitamins and minerals like B complex, magnesium, trace minerals, vitamin D, and K.
- Some components in spirulina called gamma-linolenic (GLA) helps balance hormones, dissolve fat, prevent heart problems and reduce bad cholesterol.
- Regular consumption of spirulina can help stimulate immunity and wound healing.
You can find it in powder, tablets and flake form… make sure to NOT cook or heat spirulina because it will then lose all its benefits. I love to use it in powder as well, so I can add it to my smoothies and other recipes concoctions.
Here are my fav Spirulina picks:
Chlorella as you have guessed, get its name because of its high levels of chlorophyll. The fact that I love chlorella shouldn’t come as a surprise since you know I’m all about chlorophyll!
I love it because it’s amazing to get a healthy glow and again, A+ for detoxifying the body. It helps carry oxygen around of the body, which is super important for radiance and to keep our body alkaline. Chlorella has more chlorophyll than ANY other plant in the world.
- Excellent to help cleanse the digestive tract and help with constipation.
- Helps promote liver function.
- Extremely alkalinizing so it helps balance the body from acidic elements in our diet (processed foods, animal products, sodas, etc.).
- Helps balance your pH.
- Contains ALL the amino acids to form a complete protein (although it has less protein content than spirulina), but its higher in chlorophyll.
- Contains vitamins B, C, E, magnesium, zinc and iron.
- Excellent to promote blood flow, circulation, and glowing complexion.
- Great to detoxify the body (it binds heavy metals, toxins, and pesticides accumulating in our bodies) which helps to keep our detoxing organs working correctly.
You can get it in powder and tablets forms as well. I love to have them around, especially when I know I’ll be misbehaving a little over the weekend or will be having a much-needed glass (or bottle! Lol) of wine. It will help to push out the bad toxins out of my body in record time!
Here are my fav Chlorella picks:
- Sunfood Chlorella Tablets
- Organic Traditions Organic Powder, Chlorella
- Sunfood Spirulina & Chlorella (mixed) Tablets
Soon I’ll be posting more recipes using Spirulina and Chlorella so you can keep the inspiration going!