This soup is inspired on Ina Garten’s Roasted Tomato soup, but if you know me, you know I’ll twist it a little bit to make it healthier, but without losing flavor.
This soup has been on my radar for a long, long time… thanks to Chrissy Teigen. She’s my spirit animal, for real. I’m obsessed with her and how spontaneous she is. In my mind, she’s my best friend, I was fangirling big time when I met her at her book signing in Miami earlier this year (more of that on another blog post, promise!).
So hear ya’ go:
- 3 lbs. ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbls turmeric
- 1 (28 oz) can whole plum tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups veggie stock (homemade preferably)
- Optional: nutritional yeast, fresh basil, more red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss the tomatoes with 3 tbsp olive oil. Layer on a baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-45 minutes.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent and starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and veggie stock. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the juices. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or large food processor and puree. Serve with side of avocado (my fav!), and the optional toppings.