Writing this is a though one.
…You have Cancer. The f*cking words nobody wants to hear, yet here we are, hearing them on a daily basis.
I’m writing this long overdue post in honor of my mom, who is a cancer survivor and the most fierce, badass woman I’ve met in this life. I’m also writing this piece, inspired by my friend Kyrzayda Rodriguez.
Kyrzayda was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer at the end of last year. Seeing her fight EVERY DAY, wake up, work her ass off, and keep following her dreams (even when she’s feeling like sh*t because of chemo), just reconfirms to me what I always knew since I met her so many years ago… just like my mom, she’s a fighter, she’s a goddess, she has a special gift to give to this world.
They both had cancer, cancer has NEVER, and will NEVER have them… and by the glory of God, I believe and declare that just like my mom, K is already also a winner in this battle!
5 months ago I was diagnosed with Cancer wow it’s been such a battle with my mind and my body. My heart still breaks just thinking of how my lifestyle has change completely. From waking at 5:30am for the gym to hardly being able to get up the stairs. Haven’t enjoyed a real meal since October. I’m currently 91 pounds and can’t fit most of my clothes. Eating is so hard 😔 Thru this journey I have learned to not take anything or anyone for granted. To appreciate my skin, my hair, food, the smallest things in life. To Thank God each day for all I have for nothing is by our power. To enjoy the company of friends and family without being constantly on the phone. I’m still fighting. I don’t have all the answers but God has a plan I will trust in him. #cancermemes
How We Met
We met a few years ago, when I asked her to style me for an Influential Latinos in Philly awards I was attending. I asked her fees and she didn’t want to charge me… because that’s who she is, a really giving person. I didn’t want to accept it and offered her my holistic nutrition & wellness services instead, since I knew how important wellness was for her.
Next thing I knew, we had a deal! She poured her magic on me and I felt radiant that day, thanks to her styling advice and eye for details.
A few weeks later, we met at a Whole Foods in NJ for my in-person Supermarket Badass Tour Coaching, and the rest is history… we’ve been supporting each other personally and professionally ever since. We’ve been on an influencer trip in Philly together, we’ve been together in Miami, and as random of randomness have it, we even bumped into each other walking NYC’s streets in an evening we totally didn’t know we were going to be in NYC at the same time… craaaazy!
Why I’m Doing This
Everybody who knows her well will know that she will give and support you to the best of her capabilities, without necessarily expecting anything in return, as long as she sees you’re a good person and don’t have a hidden agenda.
That’s why today IS MY TURN AGAIN, to give back to HER, and keep giving to all of you!
After discussing this many times and with her authorization, I will be rolling out a series of webinars and blog posts to create awareness on:
- HOW TO PREVENT CANCER THROUGH A HOLISTIC (DOABLE) LIFESTYLE
- HEALTH MISTAKES YOU’RE MAKING THAT MAY BE “SWITCHING ON” CANCER FOR YOU
- HOW TO HEAL FASTER IF YOU’RE GOING THROUGH IT
- REDUCE CHANCES OF IT COMING BACK IF YOU’VE BEEN CLEARED ALREADY
It is my HONOR, that through my experience as a Holistic Nutrition & Wellness coach and my experience with my mom (read a little bit here on my “about section“) I can keep helping my community (that’s you!).
Neither Kyrzayda or I, could’ve been where we are without the people who believe in us and support our work, what we do, and help us keep following our dreams.
Let’s all dream together and learn how to be healthier so we can keep reaching for those goals and those dreams!
Health Mistakes You’re Making That May Be “Switching On” Cancer For You, and Steps To Fix It
- Time: 8:30 p.m. EST Time
- Date: Tuesday 22th
- How: Video Conference
SAVE YOUR SPOT!
Things to NOT do!
These points are as important as the DO’s… why? Because sometime common sense is not so common, we don’t necessarily understand what our friends or loved ones are going through and even if we’re coming from a place of love, we might be doing things that are unwelcomed.
- Refrain yourself from giving them “tips”… For the love of God, if you’re not a certified person to be giving medical advise. You might be doing more harm than good.
- Do not, I repeat, DO NOT tell them to STOP CHEMO and go for natural remedies… LOOK, I’m a holistic health & wellness coach and I’m telling you right now. PLEASE STOP! You cannot tell a person with an aggressive cancer, to just drink beet juice or juice their life away… Chemo has its place and unfortunately IT IS necessary in most cases. Let the juicing and other holistic tips, be part of their overall holistic approach, but not just the ONLY thing.
- DO NOT guilt trip them if they can’t take your calls, reply your messages, can’t show up, or even pay much attention to you when you visit.
- Be positive, and encouraging but don’t say “everything will be OK”…. you can’t guarantee that.
- Don’t say ‘I know what you’re going through’, unless you REALLY know what they are going through… If you haven’t had cancer yourself, it would be better to say ‘I know you’re having a difficult time.’
- Don’t make Cancer the main topic of your conversations with them (as noted in the DO tips). Don’t be afraid to gossip, talk about old times, about travel plans, whatevs help them to focus on things other than their illness.
- Reconsider bringing them food (unless you’re a holistic coach, nutritionist, or part of her recovery team). They might be on a special diet and empanadas, or arroz con leche might not be the best for them at the moment!
- Don’t be an as*hole and tell them (specially if it is a woman), ‘you look so great with the weight you’ve lost!’… TRUST ME, there are people out there that think this is a compliment. And again, might be coming from a place of love, but common sense people, common sense!
I could think of so many more… but mainly, let’s think and act with love, kindness and empathy ALWAYS!
Hope these tips serve and pleaseee SHARE THIS BLOG. It can help so many others! You can:
- Tweet about it
- Share it on Facebook
- Pin it on Pinterest
- Screen shot a part that resonated with you, and share it on your IG STORIES with the SWIPE UP link (make sure to TAG ME & TAG KYRZAYDA TOO!)
- Text, or email the link of this article to friends and loved ones!