Heart health is a subject that’s becoming more important for me as the years go by. Both my parents suffer from high blood pressure so I KNOW for a fact that given this scenario, I should be careful with mine too.
The past year and a half, my career has grown like CRAZY. My role as a wife, business-woman, holistic nutrition & health coach and healthy lifestyle influencer is pulling me in so many directions, so many projects, and ‘To-Do’ lists… I love it all, but my stress has also spiked and with it, I’ve noticed my blood pressure has spiked as well.
But you’re so young, why are you worried?!
First thing my best friend told me when I told her about my concerns… Truth is, only one in three Latina women know that heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women causing 1 in 3 deaths each year. That’s approximately one woman every minute!
Many are unaware that 80 percent of all cardiac events, such as heart attacks, can be prevented with education and lifestyle changes.
And that’s why besides taking the “Going For Zero” pledge, I have also committed to monitor my heart pressure for 90 days and share with you ladies everything I know about heart health to help you PREVENT, instead of REACT.
We’re all in this together!
Will you join me and pledge?!
I’ll follow up this post in 30 more days to update you how everything is going on my side… ya’ know, a good old chisme in between us girls to see how we’re doing. Here are a few things I want you to keep in mind for the next 30 days:
- Exercise: Just be a little more active. Walk instead of drive, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away and count steps to a healthier heart.
- Eat smart: Try to find low-fat, low-sodium substitutes that also taste great. Potassium found in bananas and carrots is nature’s best medicine for your heart.
- Kick the habits: Minimize your alcohol and cigarette usage. If you’re going to have a drink try red wine, which, in moderation, is better for your heart.
- Stifle your stress: Stress is a normal part of life. But too much can increase the risk of heart disease. Relax by doing things you enjoy (yoga, gardening, reading, sleeping eight hours, etc.) and your heart will benefit.
- Monitor your blood pressure regularly. This is where my Omron kicks in!!! Knowing your blood pressure numbers throughout the day can help you see a heart attack or stroke coming and take action to save your own life.
If you’re wondering WHERE you can buy yours, you can get them online at their webpage, on my favorite place ever AMAZON, and pretty much in any of your favorite convenience stores like Walmart, CVS, RiteAid, Target or Walgreens.
Easy and convenient…. just the way I like it!
What I LOVE about my Omron EVOLV?
It’s super light and compact. I can pretty much take it with me everywhere even when traveling. Clinically-accurate which is HIGHLY important to me… and helloooo I’m a millennial after all, I LOVE that I can transmit my readings wirelessly to my mobile with the “Omron Connect” app. But even if you’re not into apps, you can use the monitor without a smart device
Basically, no excuses!
I HAVE A GIVEAWAY FOR YOU!!!
Because you know I love my tribe, I wanted to also do something special for you ladies. So I’m giving away 1 (one) Omron EVOLV device exactly like the one I have (valued at $100)!!!
Super easy to enter, Just go to my latest post on Instagram and follow the instructions there… SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!
* This post was done in collaboration with Omron Healthcare. As usual, all opinions are my own! #Omron #OmronHealthcare #GoingForZero #EVOLV
* * HEALTHCARE DISCLAIMER: This post and its information do not constitute the practice of medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always talk to your healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment, including your specific medical needs.
[Photos by Claudia Gomez Photography]