I’ve never been a fan of the Nutella brand… too much sugar.
And after learning the NASTY effects of palm oil -which was linked to cancer- I knew I had to give you guys a healthier option.
This is by no means a new recipe, different versions of it have been floating around for years. This is just the one I have twitched, tried and liked for myself.
I’m sure you guys are going to LOVE it… totally guilt-free and honestly, it’s like… orgasmic!
• 2 cups raw hazelnuts
• 1.5-2 tbsp coconut oil (I like this one)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract (I like this one)
• 1/2 cup coconut sugar (I like this one) or maple syrup (I like this one)
• 1.5 tbsp raw cacao powder (I like this one)
• 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt (I like this one), add more to your taste if you want
1. Preheat the oven to 300F and roast the hazelnuts for 13-14 minutes.
2. Add the hazelnuts to your food processor.
3. Process them, stopping to scrape down the bowl every minute or so. After 7-9 minutes of processing, add in the coconut oil and process until smooth. Coconut oil will help tons with the texture, so please don’t skip this step.
4. Now add in the rest of the ingredients slowly and keep processing and scraping down the bowl for another 5-10 minutes, or until silky smooth. It takes more or less 10-15 minutes total processing. The sugar will thicken up the spread significantly (unless you are using the syrup), but keep processing and the heat will smooth it out once again, or you can add a tiny bit of almond milk if you want it softer until you have your desired consistency. I like creamy and smooth!
You can store it in an air-tight container and put it in the fridge. Since it will harden when chilled, just remember to get it out of the fridge a few minutes before you use it, so it gets to room temperature or heat it a little bit before using.
What other sweet treats or desserts would you like me to “healthy-fy” for you? Let me know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this awesome recipe on your Facebook, IG or Twitter so your friends and loved ones can join in the fun too.