A natural post to make right after all these 4th of July’s partying right? Kicking a hangover is part of almost EVERY epic story. I get you! But suffering in the process is kinda of optional if you follow these 10 wellness tips to help you prevent, and kick a hangover to the curve.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I’ll be the first to tell you to please ALWAYS exercise moderation and in reality, there shouldn’t be a need to kick a hangover because we should never drink in excess… Hell, we don’t even need to drink to have a good time!
I could tell you countless horror stories also based on alcohol consumption, and how overdrinking affects your liver and makes your body acidic. Which helps inflammation and thus, making you susceptible to tons of illnesses.
But I’m not here to lecture you, at least this post is not intended for that.
I know… Sh*t happens!
I’m not you momma, but I do got your back. So I’m going to tell you WHY you’re getting hungover, HOW to PREVENT IT and my tried-and-true wellness tips on HOW to KICK IT to the curve. Ready?
WHY YOU ARE GETTING HUNGOVER
You are drinking too much, duh! But besides that, you are drinking on an empty stomach… sounds familiar? When you drink on an empty stomach, alcohol goes directly to your bloodstream and then, to your head.
Make sure to have something to eat before you head out. But don’t overdo it either, stuffing your face with food won’t do you any favors.
If you drink faster than your body can metabolize the alcohol, you’ll get drunk and therefore hungover the next day. As a rule of thumb, never have more than 2 drinks per hour and space them with enough water to help dilute it. Knowing your boundaries is CRUCIAL!
HOW TO PREVENT IT
(Or at least make the next day less awful!)
Again, this is NOT a preaching post. But being mindful of the amount of alcohol you consume per hour is KEY not only for your health but for your safety as well.
I feel like the best medicine is PREVENTION. Here are some of my wellness tricks to prevent:
- Drink warm water with lemon BEFORE you head out. The lemon juice helps to stimulate your bile flow, which quickly clears incoming toxins (a.k.a Alcohol), and the water hydrates cells so that your blood alcohol levels don’t skyrocket with your first boozy sip.
- Make sure to be SUPER hydrated before partying it out. The water will offset the dehydration that alcohol can cause, and reduce the severity of a hangover.
- Don’t exercise right before going out (prefer to hit the gym in the AM). Remember, hydration is key and exercising will demand water from your body, that you won’t be able to replenish no matter how much water you drink right before going out.
- DON’T drink crappy alcohol and try to stay away from brown booze altogether. Dark liquor contains more toxins than clear liquor, which delays how fast alcohol is removed from your body.
My drink of preference is organic wine or champagne. I’m currently obsessed with Natura Organic Wines, which are produced with 100% organically grown grapes, made from estate owned biodynamically farmed vineyards. This means they are sustainable (a non-negotiable for me!) have zero pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers. This ensures me that my liver will have fewer chemicals to eliminate.
If you follow my insta-stories you know I’m all about their Rose… So yums!
WHAT TO DO AFTER YOU DRINK
Pick and choose any of these wellness practices. I have tried them ALL (you know, purely for journalistic purposes Lol) and I know they all WORK.
- Ditch the ibuprofen and drink my turmeric elixir! It will help you flush out toxins, protect your liver and fight inflammation that the alcohol has caused.
- Eat a Banana! They are such a good source of potassium and magnesium, which helps regulate muscle and nerve function. Also, have a natural antacid that can settle your stomach.
- Drink a Magnesium supplement. The magnesium, in particular, will relax your blood flow to ease a pounding headache.
- Drink a Chlorella supplement (I always do this one!). It will assist the liver in detoxing, which is super important after drinking.
- Drink an activated charcoal supplement. Charcoal is an incredibly absorbent and entirely safe to consume. It can help soak up alcohol in your system if you take it at night before going to bed, and reduce excess bile in your stomach the next morning. NOTE: Just don’t take it within two hours of taking any kind of important medication or vitamins, as it will prevent your body from absorbing them.
The morning after, I ALWAYS drink chlorophyll in my water the whole day. It helps boost vitality levels and re-alkalize my body. I also avoid coffee because it’s super acidic, and what we want is to go back to an alkaline state.
- Have a green smoothie (you’re going to love this avocado-mango recipe). It will help soothe your stomach, raise your blood sugar and replace essential nutrients.
- Take a probiotic supplement. The gut microflora helps remove toxins, including ethanol, from the body.
- Keep hydration to the MAX. Continue to drink filtered water with lemon throughout the day to combat the dehydrating effects of alcohol and assist the liver in flushing out unwanted toxins that you consumed the night before.
- Sweat it! Make sure to not skip the gym the day after, it’s exactly what you need to help flush out toxins through your sweat. Also, if available to you, infrareds sauna WORKS WONDERS to flush out toxins from your system.
And that’s about it guys!
If after all this you still feel hungover, I don’t know what to tell you… Just pray to Mary and Jesus, and wait it out ’till the next day :p
But honestly, all these wellness tricks WORKS. That’s why I love what I do and I love wellness, there’s always a natural solution for pretty much everything.
Now tell me… any fun hangover anecdotes?
Any other wellness tips I might be overlooking?… Share with me (us) the more we know the better and sharing is caring!
Hope this post helps for your next booze session, but remember everything in moderation is better.